Lepaa, located in the Vanajavesi Valley in the heart of Häme, is known as a region whose microclimate, nature and lush soil are particularly favorable for the development of crop production.
Already during paganism, Lepaa has been an important gathering place and since the Middle Ages, Lepaa has been a significant noble manor. The manor has been ruled by several different families until the end of the 19th century, when the last owner of the manor, Carl Packalen, bequeathed all his property to the state. According to the will, a horticultural college was established in Lepaa in 1910, and since then Lepaa has been a nationally significant educator in the field of horticulture and greenery, graduating professionals for more than a hundred years.
Lepaa also has a long tradition in wine making. Church wines were made as early as the early 20th century, and when teaching at the horticultural school began in 1912, the making of berry and fruit wines was an important part of the subject Preservation.
However, with the entry into force of the Prohibition Act, the production of wine was stopped until, again with the integration of Europe in 1995, Lepaa became one of the first farms to obtain a small-scale commercial production of berry and fruit wines, liqueurs and distillates.
Today, the Lepaa winery is a training and research venue for the farm wine industry, producing about 15,000 liters of berry and fruit-based farm wines, ciders and liqueurs each year. The raw materials for the products come from our own or nearby farms.
Find out more of Lepaa winery and our products: